YouTube Video Embed Sizing Changed

Jackson Wyoming SEO Forums Blogging YouTube Video Embed Sizing Changed

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dzemens 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

Anyone embed YouTube videos on there site? For some reason YouTube is now only allowing one size option for embedding videos?

Sadly this does not give the option to change the video size.

Hopefully they come up with a suggestion sooner than later. I guess you could always manipulate there code.

dzemens
    Participant

I do embed occasional youtube content, but haven’t noticed what you note (probably because I’ve not been paying attention and/or I never tried to change size). I usually just dump the Youtube URL in the WYSIWYG editor in WordPress, and they handle the parsing to do the embed. In years past, I do remember having to manually embed the IFRAME code, and you could (at least back then you could) manipulate the container dimensions.

Assuming that’s still the case, it would be relatively trivial to create a custom PHP function or shortcode that you could use to wrap Youtube links and enforce your own preferred video dimensions.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

How’s your site going?

dzemens
    Participant

Hey Mike, thanks for asking.

Been busy as all heck, took a new 9-5 job in August after 10+ years with my previous employer, and while I’m still working full-time from home, as the new guy my schedule is not quite as flexible as I’d grown accustomed to 😀 But my co-blogger moved from Aspen to Portland for the summer and that’s allowed us to stay top of mind during the long off-season, as he’s been riding, skinning, hiking, etc at Mt Hood.

Summer was abysmal in terms of revenue, a tiny amount came through Amazon and a tiny amount from Avantlink links that are hosted off my domain, but it’s that time of year when our seasonal traffic starts increasing, and as a result of whatever efforts I’ve made since last year (mostly in terms of adding the product widgets from AvantLink), we’ve recognized a handful of sales in the last 30-60 days. Still being dwarfed by the off-site links, but it’s a start.

If anything like years past, I expect this to trend to continue, peaking probably in Dec/Jan and then tapering off through March before settling down at near-zero “summer” levels.

I expect the website will be able to self-fund a trip to SIA this year (so I’m not paying out of my own pocket per se). I’ll have to forsake the regional trade show that I normally attend (they’re so close together in dates that I can’t possibly do both), but I think SIA will be good to do instead.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

Stoked to hear your coming to SIA and on the companies dime too. I would get a room reserved now if you can. With OR and SIA merging this year the shows going to be massive in size and attendance. Lets be sure to meet up at the show.

Congrats on the new gig.

Looks like another big snow year which helps drive sales now and even into next winter. Lets sell a shit ton of snowboards and gear this winter, and hiking stuff too (kimball)

dzemens
    Participant

Yeah I got the package from SIA in the mail last week, need to take care of some stuff first, not sure how much of it I’ll be there for but hopefully at least one day at the show, and then the On Snow. Last year I was able to send Adam (driving from Aspen was less $$ than flying from Grand Rapids!) and he enjoyed it, we plan on both going this year. As it draws nearer, I’ll coordinate something to meet up w/you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.