Posting Affiliate Links on Social Channels

Jackson Wyoming Search Engine Optimization Forums Social Media Posting Affiliate Links on Social Channels

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Hardaker 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

Do you post your affiliate links with tracking codes to social media? On the Mountain Weekly News we use social media to promote our articles, but what about promoting specific products that are on sale or available with limited inventory?

Are there any ethical reasons to NOT use social media as a way to gain potential sales?

Do the major social media platforms allow for us to post affiliate links?

Do your affiliate network partners ALLOW you to post affiliate links on channels or websites you do not own?

dzemens
    Participant

Are there any ethical reasons to NOT use social media as a way to gain potential sales?

I don’t think it’s black-and-white, but it certainly raises the potential for abuse. Most forums (for instance) are fairly tight-knit communities that can smell spam a mile away. There’s a fine line between being a valuable (and valued) contributor to a forum, versus someone who treats the forum merely as a way to generate traffic/affiliate sales.

Some forums and social media also disallow shortlinks, which may make it more difficult to share links unless you use the full URL, which in many cases look like spam to begin with (most consumers don’t know what “AvantLink” is, have never heard of it, and don’t understand why they’d click on that long-ass URL to find a deal on Gore-Tex hiking boot)

Do the major social media platforms allow for us to post affiliate links?

I am not a lawyer and I haven’t studied this exclusively, but I’ve shared occasional affiliate links via Facebook and Twitter and have never run afoul. I see other websites even paying to promote affiliate links on Facebook (I find it nearly impossible to believe that the conversion rate would justify the advertising expense, but then again, I’m not exactly making millions on this sort of thing, and maybe they are).

Do your affiliate network partners ALLOW you to post affiliate links on channels or websites you do not own?

This is more of a grey area, and it’s why I was always a bit hesitant to do this at all. It was my understanding that you are allowed to post affiliate links on domains that you own, and since you don’t own Twitter.com or Facebook.com or MyNicheForum.com, you can’t and shouldn’t post there.

On the other hand, from the affiliated brands’ perspective, they’re ultimately paying you for quality clicks, and it arguably shouldn’t matter from where they are coming.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

I see other websites even paying to promote affiliate links on Facebook (I find it nearly impossible to believe that the conversion rate would justify the advertising expense, but then again, I’m not exactly making millions on this sort of thing, and maybe they are).

so you have seen our ads for the Mountain Weekly News 🙂 We figured out that each person that comes to the site is worth a certain value. Say .30 cents so when buying ads we can afford to pay .15 .20 etc. We plan to reinvest 70-80% of our revenue this year.

The hiccup becomes we are now directly competing with the likes of Backcountry.com, REI.com, the brands, big mags etc ..

dzemens
    Participant

OK, when you put it that way it makes sense. I think I’m a long way off from that, yet, but it makes sense.

You’re arriving at that visitor value with some variation of this sort of calculation: (affiliate revenue) / (number of visitors) = (visitor value) . And then so long as you can buy ad views at say 50-60% cost, it makes sense to do it.

I would get too caught up in the funnel math, say, considering a certain ad (or ad set, or page, etc.) has a CTR of 3% and among those click-thrus, a conversion rate of 4% and say it averages $10 in affiliate revenue, so basically you can expect to make $10 for every 8,333 visitors. Then I’d look at what it cost to put an ad in front of that many people, and it was always way more than any potential revenue.

On that note, I think I accidentally pumped one of these on Facebook last year, cost me like $80 to run the ad, exposed it to several thousand people (going off memory here, not data) and earned like $12 in commission LOL. No need to beat that dead horse, though. While we use FB, I really would like to distance myself from it as much as possible.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

“While we use FB, I really would like to distance myself from it as much as possible.” good idea.

It’s a landscape that is so darn competitive these days. Not just from brands, but friends, family, cat pictures and such. It’s way to big for anyone to really navigate. It thinks I want to see updates from my X-girlfriends from like middle school? Come on Facebook, catch up.

dzemens
    Participant

Saw this the other day. Rings true to me. I don’t know what the future holds for the internet, but man do I long for the days pre-Facebook.

They’ve gotten increasingly aggressive in terms of begging me for money to boost/promote our content, and notwithstanding the ever-diminishing post reach, that alone is *annoying*.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

spot on my friend, sadly too. We found a niche, now we get to compete with lots of companies, brands and bloggers. And where people are playing, hiding, and living is now so crucial to our success. I have know for a while that putting all our eggs aka traffic into the hands of Facebook is NOT SUSTAINABLE.

I feel like were all at a crossroads here.

Not sure I posted this before. When I worked for TGR we had 300,000+ fans on FB. When we posted it went out to all of them. Then they changed the algorithm to only show to 10% of fans at most without paying. So overnight we went to reaching 30k vs the previous 300,000k.

Those are not numbers to play around with. Especially if you paid or spend time and hours building a following…

dzemens
    Participant

Latest I’ve read is that they only show content to approximately 5% of followers/fans now. That will probably continue to decrease directionally with FB’s growth as a platform, unfortunately.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

want to get even more slimy? This article is a must read, or the title at the very least.
    http://mashable.com/2017/11/02/facebook-phony-accounts-admission/#3poYcpK_qPqi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.