AvantLink Shared Attribution

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Hardaker 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

This is complete garbage.. And “shared attribution” is a very bad way to treat publishers.

“This program utilizes custom affiliate attribution logic in situations where multiple affiliate referrals have taken place for the same sale, thereby bypassing the traditional last click wins model and instead dividing commissions between multiple affiliate referral groups. Commission payouts may vary depending on the number and type of affiliate referrals as defined in the Introducer/Influcencer/Checkout Influencer attribution model used by this program, described below:

* Affiliate referrals that are a first-time visitor to the merchant’s websites are called an “Introducer” referral. An Introducer referral will receive their full commission on a sale unless other affiliate referrals take place before that visitor has finalized their purchase. In this case, the other referrals will receive a set percentage of the commission payout and the Introducer referral will receive the remaining commission percentage.
    * Affiliate referrals that have visited the merchant’s website in the past but haven’t started the checkout process are called “Influencer” referrals. The final Influencer referral will receive 40% of their commission payout.
    * Affiliate referrals that are made after the visitor has entered the checkout process on a merchant’s website are called “Checkout Influencer” referrals. The final Checkout Influencer will receive 10% of their commission payout.

Please contact the affiliate program manager with any questions about the details of this attribution model.”

yuck, yuck yuck. So your saying to me if someone clicks through one of my reviews and makes a sale I only get 40% of the total commission which in this case of this merchant is 8% if the customer had previously visited the merchants site before.

$174.00 transaction = $5.57 in commission

This is bad business, luckily not all the major players are rolling this out.

My question who does this help? Surely not me…

dzemens
    Participant

The way I read this is that you might get 100%, or you might get 60% or 50% or 40% or 10%, depending on the scenario:

1. You’re the “Introducer”:
    a. Full 100% if no others involved
    b. 90% if there’s a “Checkout Influencer” and no other “Influencer” (10% goes to “Checkout Influencer”)
    c. 60% if there’s an “Influencer” and no “Checkout Influencer” (40% to the “Influencer”)
    d. 50% if there’s both an “Influencer” (who gets 40%) and a “Checkout Influencer” (who gets 10%)
    2. If you’re NOT the “Introducer”, you can get 40% or 10% depending on whether you qualified as final “Influencer” or final “Checkout Influencer” respectively.

While different, I’m not sure it’s a terrible thing. The way I’m reading this is that if you’re the one who drives the customer to the site, and they put the item in the cart, you’ll always get at least 50%, even in cases (1b, 1c, 1d) where previously you’d have gotten 0%. Or am I missing something?

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

If someone has ever visited Patagonia’s website before for any reason my commission will at most be 40%. That becomes a tough pill to swallow. Keep in mind the majority of the network is coupon sites.

This is why paid placement makes affiliate commissions laughable. Might as well be paid for your work upfront instead of in hopes..

dzemens
    Participant

ugh. yeah re-reading the bullets you posted I see that interpretation now.

jenhudak
    Participant

Hey Mike, my name is Jen Hudak. I’m a “retired” pro skier, writer/blogger and currently work for AvantLink (though opinions expressed here are my own). Attribution has been a hot topic and seems to be a concept that is only growing in popularity. The more it can be discussed and brainstormed, the better, so thanks for the forum!

This Patagonia attribution structure, to which you refer, is not the most favorable, though it was originally designed with content publishers in mind. In a traditional “last click wins” model for affiliate commission payout, content publishers were getting trumped by “Checkout Influencers,” those last minute searches for a “brand + coupon” after a customer placed a product in a cart following a referral from a content site. From what I understand, at the time, Patagonia was considering discontinuing affiliate marketing all together, so this was an attempt to keep them in affiliate while rewarding the publishers that they most valued, based on where they landed in the click-stream/funnel (i.e. – higher in the funnel, more commission earned).

My personal issue with the Patagonia model is that when the “Influencer” (second click in the click-stream) is the sole affiliate click in the AvantLink funnel, they still only receive 40% commission, not the 100% that I feel they should receive. Very few advertisers on AvantLink are set up like this and we discourage its implementation. Depending on what kind of traffic your site is driving and where you tend to fall in the click stream, this is either very favorable, or not at all.

@dzemens point: “While different, I’m not sure it’s a terrible thing. The way I’m reading this is that if you’re the one who drives the customer to the site, and they put the item in the cart, you’ll always get at least 50%, even in cases (1b, 1c, 1d) where previously you’d have gotten 0%. Or am I missing something?” was the intended purpose.

What ideas do you have that could make this concept more effective in achieving what it was designed to do – reward content sites for the traffic that they drive to advertiser’s sites?

jenhudak
    Participant

Also, I wanted to clarify your statement:

“So your saying to me if someone clicks through one of my reviews and makes a sale I only get 40% of the total commission which in this case of this merchant is 8% if the customer had previously visited the merchants site before.”

The only time that you would be considered an influencer in this case is if the previous customer visit to the site was referred by another affiliate. So if someone was on Patagonia’s site via direct type-in, then clicked through a link on your review of the jacket they wanted, you’d be the introducer and would recieve anywhere from 50-100% of the commission.

dzemens
    Participant

thanks for clarifying @jenhudak

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

Jen,

Welcome to the Forum, super excited to have your insights here!

My personal issue with the Patagonia model is that when the “Influencer” (second click in the click-stream) is the sole affiliate click in the AvantLink funnel, they still only receive 40% commission, not the 100% that I feel they should receive. Very few advertisers on AvantLink are set up like this and we discourage its implementation. Depending on what kind of traffic your site is driving and where you tend to fall in the click stream, this is either very favorable, or not at all.

I agree with this part, sometimes I consider linking to another merchant instead of Patagonia like Backcountry or REI. However we do work with Patagonia’s marketing director directly for gear to test so having links to Patagonia is good for the relationship not so much from the affiliate publisher side. Especially considering if I just simply linked to Backcountry vs Patagonia my commission rate would always be higher on BC.. (even without the shared attribution in place)

But if were talking about Patagonia I’m actually going to open another thread as there datafeed is not being updated or maintained. (AvantLink is aware of this) Yet nobody seems to care?? Sometimes I feel like a redheaded stepchild of the AvantLink program to be frank.

Mike Hardaker
    Keymaster

Well look what’s back in the news for 2018. Lets all make sure AvantLink understands this is not good for publishers.

How To Find Merchants Using Commission Sharing

Out of the 600+ merchants. only 20 are using this model. Lets all hope that number shrinks not increasing as Chad implies.

What is the benefit here? Do you want a cut of someone else’s sales and vice a versa?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.